I have seen this piece of nonsense online many times most recently in a comment on CTV’s website and from a Pacifists point of view it is highly annoying.
* It’s the soldier, not the reporter, who gives you the freedom of the press.
* It’s the soldier, not the poet, who gives you the freedom of speech.
* It’s the soldier, not the campus organizer, who allows you to demonstrate.
* It’s the soldier who salutes the flag, serves the flag, whose coffin is draped with the flag that allows the protester to burn the flag!!!
This is the truth
* It’s not the soldier, but the people and the reporters, who give you the freedom of the press.
The soldier only protects what the government elected by the people allows, in many nations the soldier arrests the writer and closes the newspaper. If the reporter had not written of the killings at Kent State, who would have been outraged?
* It’s not the soldier, but the poet, who gives you the freedom of speech.
Freedom of speech is often the first thing to go when martial law is brought in and enforced by the soldier. There are not many poets out there shooting soldiers. That said John Quincy Adams authored the posthumously published book, “Poems of Religion and Society” and Jimmy Carter wrote the modern bestseller, “Always a Reckoning and Other Poems.”Senegal’s former President Leopold Senghor was as celebrated for his lyric poetry as he was honoured for his steadfast statesmanship. etc… And I think these gentlemen are more responsible for the gift of free speech then the man with the gun. Many poets are disidents , most disident soldiers are shot.
* It’s not the soldier, but the campus organizer, who allows you to demonstrate.
Who else is going to stop a political protest but a soldier? Lest we forget Kent State. I have never heard of a soldier being shot by campus organizer?
* It’s the soldier who salutes the flag, serves the flag, whose coffin is draped with the flag but not the one that allows the protester to burn the flag!!!
If the Law does not allow flag burning and the defense of the flag falls to the military then who gets shot by whom? If insurgents in Iraq Burn the American flag what is the soldier going to do? And don’t insult my inteligence by saying he would sit back and watch it burn.
Just because something sounds good and patriotic does not make it any less a semi truthful piece of nonsense.
Even if you defend this doggerel as true from the point that the soldier protects freedoms in the West more often than not, it is the Kent state shootings that prove that soldiers are only machines of the state and if the state is evil the poor soldier goes from being defender of rights to pawn of the state and God help us all.
I respect the soldier but he/she is only a hero when he is defending the truth. The most respectable soldier in an unjust war is the deserter.