As the Speech from the throne is read today listen for the following three words, Poverty Afghanistan, and Environment, but mostly Afghanistan. The way the Government seeks to address these will determine if we have an election soon or not.
The following lists are items each of the opposing parties say must be in the speech for their party to support it. The most important being the liberal party support without it there will very likely be a non-confidence vote and thus an election.
Notice that a commitment to pull troops out of Afghanistan is on the top of the list for the Liberals and the NDP.
So the cry from the opposition should be Out of Afghanistan or Out of Parliament.
1. Canadian notification to NATO that it will end its combat mission in Afghanistan in 2009.
2. The government must make clear the wording of the motion, and confirm how it will vote.
3. A commitment to reintroducing Bill C-30 in the new parliamentary season, which is designed to protect the environment and fight the effects of climate change.
4. Addressing the manufacturing challenges facing Canada’s economy.
5. Setting out a plan to combat poverty in Canada.
1. Elimination of all federal spending powers in provincial jurisdictions
2. Government to assist workers in the ailing forest industry
3. Continuation of supply management in the agricultural sector
4. Kyoto Protocol to be respected by the Tories
5. Harper government to make a clear commitment to pull out Canadian soldiers from Afghanistan when the current mission ends in February 2009.
1. Ending the combat mission in Afghanistan
2. Tackling the climate change crisis
3. Closing the prosperity gap by making life more affordable for everyday families.
1. Afghanistan withdrawal (Lib 2-3,Bloc 5,NDP 1)
2. Fighting Poverty (lib 5, Bloc 2, NDP 3)
3. Environment protection and Global warming (Lib 3,Bloc 4, NDP 2)